Friday, February 20, 2015

What is Classical Education?

I decided to start a series devoted to classical education. 
This post is about what classical education is. 
Next, I will post about what the seven liberal arts are. 
Keep checking back to learn more!

 
Recently, I was talking to a fellow mom whose children go to the classical school that my own children attend. One of my favorite topics to discuss besides theology is education, so we were enjoying talking about how certain parts of our children's curriculum fit in with the classical model.

What we found as we discussed this was that we had differing views on what "classical education" means and looks like.

So what is classical education?

I used a few different resources to come up with a definition that suited me.

Andrew Kern, author, along with Gene Edward Veith, of Classical Education and director of Circe Institute in Charlotte, North Carolina, defines it this way

the cultivation of wisdom and virtue by nourishing the soul 
on the Good, the True and the Beautiful.

How does one cultivate wisdom and virtue? 

I turned to Cheryl Swope, author of Simply Classical, for her answer. She says that Lutheran classical education can be defined as "the liberal arts with Lutheran catechesis." By teaching our children the seven liberal arts and catechising them, we know that their souls are nourished with what is Good, True, and Beautiful. 





No comments:

Post a Comment