Two years ago, I would have told you that Easter Sunday was my favorite church service of the year, but that changed when Holy Saturday rolled around. My husband and I got a sitter for the kids and went to an Easter Vigil service at a nearby church. I had never been to an Easter Vigil before, and didn't really know what one was.
This service started outside. There was a fire and a paschal candle was lit. I got to learn the history of the paschal candle and see how it is used. The candle that was extinguished on Good Friday is gone now, and a new paschal candle for the year is lit. Each person received a personal candle to hold while we processed into a dark sanctuary.
After the procession, there are several Old Testament reading read as the lights in the sanctuary are brightened little by little. There are baptisms and we remember our own baptisms as it is there that the gifts won for us on the cross are given to us. There is communion. The lights in the sanctuary light up all the way and we see the Easter Lillies, and we rejoice and sing Alleluia! It is the first Easter service when we rejoice that Christ is arisen!
This year, my parents are visiting. Since they have never been to an Easter Vigil service, I let them take my place, and I stayed at home with the littles. When we did our nightly devotions, we darkened the room, then we lit a candle, then we turned the lights back on. We talked about how tomorrow we will go to church and celebrate the risen Savior.
If you would like to read more about the Easter Vigil, click here.
Alleluia! Christ is risen!
No comments:
Post a Comment