Friday, July 10, 2015

Bucket List: What to Pack in the Car

Five years ago we wrote a bucket list of the places we wanted to see before the kids moved out. This is the story of preparing for our trip. If you want to read about how we got started on our bucket list, click here, or some preparations here.

We took a 9 hour trip to Amarillo at Christmas, so I had some idea about the snacks that I wanted in the car for our trip. I also wanted to pack some things to occupy their time. Here is my list:

1. One container of Pringles per kid. Tell them that is all they get until they get to the Grand Canyon. (We are back from our trip, and I am happy to say that this actually works for us. Our kids have great self control. I think it was day 5 when the first kid finished his container. The other two made it all the way back home.)

2. Homemade cookies for my husband and I.

3. Water bottles for the kids. I used Thermos Funtainers with straw lids. These work so great in the car and are also great for lunches at school.

4. Soda to keep the driver awake. We took 8 total and chose water when we stopped for meals. We brought 3 or so of them back with us, so not bad.

5. Each kid gets one bag. I gave each kid a bag to fill for themselves. I encouraged them to remember books, but mainly let them choose their own things. The two older kids chose books, their cameras, a clipboard, and map pencils (no crayons in the hot car for us!). David had a couple of his favorite stuffed animals. Kaytlin had a few books, a baby doll, and a miniature Barbie.

6. I get one bag. My bag had my books (LadyLike and House of Living Stones). I also had extra map pencils, 2 Highlights magazines about states, 3 different children's atlases, some coloring pages specifically about where we were going, some word finds specifically about where we were going, and my camera.

7. 2 suitcases with our clothes and stuff. 1 backpack with our change of clothes for after church because we were leaving from church on Sunday for our trip.

That was it!

Because we traveled with my parents, I actually found that I over packed. The kids didn't ever make it to needing some of the things that I packed to occupy their car time. They did enjoy their own bags a lot though!

No comments:

Post a Comment