Thursday, July 16, 2015

Flat Enchiladas

 A few weeks ago, my dear, sweet husband took me to a restaurant that I had been wanting to try, Santa Fe Flats. And if you live near Tomball, Texas and haven't gone there, well, you should.

I absolutely love the New Mexican variety of Mexican food, and can't get enough of green chili enchilada sauce. Santa Fe Flats makes their enchiladas flat. Brilliant! I couldn't wait to try that at home instead of rolled enchiladas. Corn tortillas are not easy to roll anyway, so this is just the best idea ever!

At home, we eat a lot of ground turkey sausage, so instead of chicken, today I used sausage. I sauteed onions with the sausage and then added cream cheese, stirring it until it was nice and creamy.

You know how at Mexican restaurants they put beans and rice beside your enchiladas? Well, I like mine mixed together, so, at home, I make them that way! In a bowl, I mixed together my homemade refried beans, with homemade black beans, chunky salsa, and white rice cooked with salsa.

 I mixed together some sour cream with some green chili enchilada sauce. Then, I put down a layer of corn tortillas in my 9 by 13.
 I mixed the meat with the beans, and half of it over the tortillas before making another layer of tortillas and meat.
 I topped it all with more tortillas, enchilada sauce, and extra sharp Cheddar cheese.
It is now sitting in my refrigerator waiting for us to get back from the pool to pop it in the oven!

If you think I'm excited about supper tonight, you are right!

Recipe:
1 pound of ground turkey sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
4 oz. cream cheese
8 oz sour cream
1 small can green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup rice, cooked with 1/2 cup salsa in the pot
2 cups homemade refried beans
1 cup homemade black beans
1/2 cup salsa
corn tortillas
cheese

Cook sausage with onions until done. Mix in cream cheese. Mix together sour cream and enchilada sauce, set aside. Mix together beans, salsa, and meat, rice and meat. Layer the bottom of your pan with corn tortillas, top with meat/bean mixture. Layer another set of tortillas and the meat/bean mixture. Top with tortillas. Top with enchilada sauce. Top with cheese. Cover with foil. Bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment