Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Darn Tonsillectomy

I had a tonsillectomy on Thursday. Yuck. I came home just a little while after the procedure, and felt pretty good. Friday I felt good, too. I was surprised that I could talk, but tried to keep that to a minimum. I really don't remember what I did on Friday, but I remember that I thought that if that was the worst, I was good.

Nope. Saturday came with all the fun activities of the day: Pancakes with Santa at church, birthday party for a friend, snow at the park, parade that Allyssa was in. We didn't get to the snow at the park. I slept through it. I actually slept in David's office on the floor with his lap top bag as a pillow during the pancake breakfast. I don't know how long I was asleep, but it was a sign of bad things to come. David had to work in the morning, so my wonderful mother-in-law, who'd been with us since Wednesday night (taking care of the kids, taking them to the park or outside, getting them to whisper (really??? I didn't know that was possible!,) going to the store for things we ran out of, cleaning, even washing her own sheets before she left), took me and the kids to the birthday party. It wasn't long before I realized that I needed to go home. David came and got me and then went back to get the kids and his mom, I think. I really don't know. I just had to go home. I slept the rest of the morning and afternoon. Then the vomiting started. Lovely. I think it was caused by dehydration. I did make it to the parade, only to sit on the wrong side of the float and miss Allyssa. More vomiting once I got home.

Sunday, I slept all day. I might have been awake for 3 hours. Ardith had to leave, so in what little sanity I had, I made sure that my dad could come because I knew that there was no chance that I'd be capable of taking care of the kids on Monday. He took care of them all day Monday, while I slept all but about 4 hours of the day. I learned that I couldn't handle sweets or fruity stuff, so all the ice cream, yogurt, and Popsicles (Did you know that spell checker says that Popsicle is a capitalized word??) that I thought would be great, weren't. The kids like them though :). I am able to take about 3 small bites at a time, then I have to wait a while. I can eat about 6 times a day, but that is only 18 bites. I'm thinking that I'm not getting many calories. The scale is agreeing.

I slept through most of Tuesday while Dad took care of the kids. I tried to be awake for a while in the morning, but I was useless on the couch, not able to move. Not much help.

This morning, Allyssa let me know that whether I felt good or not, Mommy had to step up. So, today, I didn't take a nap in the morning. I started vomiting again. Lovely. This time it has to do with the scabbing annoying my gag reflex. I'm sure that you love hearing about this. My dad was here until 1, but then he left for home. I called David and asked him to come home after lunch (he usually eats at home, but ate with co-workers today) for a little while so that I could slip in one dose of pain meds. He was kind enough to stay home from 2 until 3 and let me lay down while he was here. Now, I think the last kid is settled for the night, so I'm going to take some more pain meds and drink some water to try to get a little food in me so that the meds don't make me sick. Then, it will be an early bedtime.

I'm hoping that tomorrow is at least as good as today. The lack of pain meds really isn't fun at all, but in the words of Pinkalicious's mom, "You get what you get, and you don't get upset."

No comments:

Post a Comment