Saturday, December 11, 2010

ER visit

I had to visit the ER last night. I was having allergy problems that caused me to cough. The coughing eventually caused bleeding. The first time, I got it to stop by gargling ice water. The second time was an hour later, also at home. It stopped again, but the doctor wanted to see me in the ER. At the ER it happened again, and I threw up some blood. That meant an IV and blood work (which actually came back saying that I wasn't even dehydrated, but they still wanted some extra fluids in me). The IV wasn't in good. It hurt like crazy the whole time. I hate bad IVs. I also felt terribly guilty because my doctor was at the ER instead of eating supper with his kids. All this because I needed to take the medicine he prescribed me the way he prescribed it. But I couldn't do it and take care of the kids, so I wasn't. He cleaned out my throat and sent me home telling David that I needed help. Grandma was already on her way, so that would be coming.

Getting to the ER was a challenge. We could have taken the kids, but that really wasn't a good idea in our eyes. Two healthy kids at the ER for lots of hours. So we called up a member of our church and asked her to watch the kids for us until our babysitter could get here. She came, ignored the blood in the sink and the food left in the garbage disposal from me cleaning of snack plates. She ignored the mess in the house, and the kids who clothes didn't match because I let them pick out their own outfits yesterday. She made a list of her numbers in case I needed more help later. She stayed after Cassidy, our babysitter, got here to do a few dishes with Cassidy for me and get all the food and blood out of the sink. She called to check on us. Cassidy, thankfully, is wonderful and knew what to do without being told. She fed the kids, played with them, got them to pick up toys, gave them a snack, dressed them for bed, gave them their medicines in the right dosages and everything, read to them, and put them to bed. In addition to that, my friend Carrie made a meal and brought it over so that the kids would have food to eat.

Wow! What great friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment