Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Softer to Me

Sometimes I really resonate with the song by Relient K Softer to Me.

Life could you be a little softer to me.
Life could you be more gentle to me.
Yeah I know this is a selfish plea,
Because Christ sacrificed his flesh
On the cross for me
But this world is hard,
It's cruel and I wish it could be...
Softer to me

Today was one of those days. After just finishing up my tonsillectomy appointments this morning, I headed to the doctor for David. He's not sick, but he will be by Christmas based on past experiences, so I headed in to see if the doctor would be kind and pass on a little medicine to help him get over his on-coming sinus infection. The doctor was kind enough to do so. YAY!

Then I asked the question that I ask every time I go in. "What do you think about this bump by David's eye?" This time, the doctor made it really clear what should happen. She said that even though it isn't growing, it is still a problem because there is the possibility that it could grow or that it could hinder his vision. It is a cyst. It might need to be removed, but it might not need to be. Regardless, we need to see a dermatologist and see how to go from there.

Life could you be a little softer to me?

Immediately, I can't help but think how selfish that is. I think about families whose children have diseases much worse than Allyssa's controlled asthma. I think about families whose child's lump is not just an innocent cyst, but is cancer. David's pediatrician said David's is just a cyst. I think about kids who hurt or feel bad or don't have moms or dad to care for them or love them.

My problem is not big. My life is not hard. In fact, it is quite simple. Simple, but not easy. January 25th we'll go see a doctor to find out what's up with David's bump. Worse case scenario, I'm thinking, it has to be removed and he might have a bandage or a scar for a short period of time, but by the time he's school-aged, it will be long forgotten. I'm hoping that the worse case that I can imagine is indeed the worst. Who knows? Maybe the doctor will say that it is nothing and will go away on its own by the time he's 5 and not to worry about it. I for sure have no idea.

So, for a brief moment, I cried out for life to be softer. And God reminded me that he's blessed me more than I can imagine. Gave me peace and assurance that he'll take care of us no matter what. If life isn't soft, I'm glad that God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment