Thursday, May 31, 2012

Breastfeeding

First some background:
My oldest is 5. She was born early and was in the NICU for almost 3 weeks. She was bottle-fed my breast milk while in the hospital. She occasionally received a bottle of breast milk after that for a few weeks to get vitamins or because we were out and about, but I found it to be more difficult to pump and then feed with a bottle, so by about 3 months old, I did away with the bottles. She nursed until she was 12 months old when she switched to cow's milk in a sippy cup.

My son is 3. He never had a bottle. He was nursed until he was 12 months old when he switched to cow's milk in a sippy cup.

My youngest is 6 months old. She had one bottle of formula when I was hospitalized after she was born (she was already home). I quickly recovered. Besides that one bottle, she has never had a bottle and has nursed. I intend to nurse her until she is 12 months when she will switch to a sippy cup of cow's milk.

I look at nursing as something that is more frugal than formula, good for the baby, and good for the mom. I think that if a mom is able to do it, it is good for her and her baby. I think that if a mom cannot do it, that formula, while scientifically is not as good, it is pretty darn good, and that she should not feel guilty about her using formula.

What I don't agree with is showing breasts in public.

Where did the 6th commandment go?

Obviously, out the window.

The 6th commandment is this: You shall not commit adultery. What does this mean? We should fear and love God so that we lead a sexually pure and decent life in what we say and do, and husband and wife love and honor each other.

Breasts are by nature a sexual part of a woman's body, and a woman should take care to respect her husband and respect herself and protect her sexual purity.

There are many options for covering up. A mom can choose a blanket, a Nursing Apron, an Udder Cover, Hooter Hider, among others.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for my son. He doesn't need to see your boobs.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I breastfed all three of my kids and never once showed mine.

    ReplyDelete