Thursday, August 8, 2013

Around the Corner

School is just around the corner, and I am not ready.

Tomorrow Allyssa meets her new teacher, Miss Ganze. She is glad to meet her. She told me a few weeks ago that she was a little nervous because she didn't know who Miss Ganze was. Our school is small, so I described her and asked her if she remembered seeing her in the cafeteria or anything. She had. I told her that I went to college with her, too. This helped a little, but I was glad when I got an email saying that we could go meet with her this week. I think that it will help Allyssa feel more at ease. Last year we started school homeschooling, so starting a school year at school feels new to her.

Next week we have a school supply drop off day and an ice cream social the day before school starts. I'm hoping that Allyssa has a good start to school. This year will be a bit different as there is only one first grade class instead of two classes like there were in Kindergarten. Allyssa saw the other class at recess and played with one of two of them, I think. Allyssa is excited to get to play on the big-kid playground. She's also excited that she gets to eat lunch with her dad some days again.

David, Sr. will be teaching a couple of classes this year. I think he is teaching 5th, 7th, and 8th grade religion classes.

David, Jr. and Kaytlin are staying home with me this year. David has one more year before Kindergarten. He talks about school a lot. He wants to homeschool this year. Last year when we homeschooled Allyssa, he just joined in because he was there and he could. He did everything from Math to Grammar with us. He really missed that when Allyssa started Kindergarten at OSL. He asked to homeschool again after just a couple of weeks, specifically he asked to learn to read. I'll finish up the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with David shortly after school starts. I don't know what I'll do after that. I have a few workbooks with mazes, which he loves that I'll have him do. I know that I need to teach him to hold a pencil correctly.

Kaytlin (20 months) is already ready for Kindergarten. She can locate her head, ears, cheeks, nose, eyes, mouth, fingers, tummy, knees, bottom, toes, and elbows correctly. She also says "nose," "toes," and "bo-bo" (we do say "elbow," but her's comes out "bo-bo"). Okay, so maybe not quite ready for Kindergarten, but we sure do like to locate body parts. She did finally decide that there are animals besides cows, too. That's always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment