Friday, May 6, 2016

Happy Mother’s Day to the Mom Who Didn’t Change the World



I keep seeing all these nice posts about moms who have changed the world. They made medical break advances, birthed presidents, wrote novels, and much more. My mom didn’t do any of that. My mom’s days were pretty run-of-the-mill.

My mom filled my cereal bowl every morning before school started. My mom taught me to tie my shoes. My mom played cards with me on the sunroom floor, Care Bear cards with numbers on them. My mom made supper for me. She made homemade fried chicken several times, too. She even made them with mashed potatoes, which she hates and I love. My mom told me that she understood when I felt lonely. My mom sat me down in her lap and talked to me about my tone of voice. My mom verbalized conversations with me so that I’d understand better how to have them when I needed to talk to someone else. My mom talked to me about different scenarios that might occur and helped me figure out the best way to handle each one. My mom showed me what a good work ethic looks like. My mom talked during television shows. She told me when the characters were not acting well and why. My mom bought me books to read, hundreds of them. She got me a library card. My mom let me make a mess all over her kitchen so that I would one day be able to cook well for my family. My mom came into my room at night and rubbed my calves when I would scream in my sleep from tight muscles from running. My mom carried me to the car and rushed me to the hospital when I had a head injury. My mom advocated for me when I almost lost my life giving birth to her first granddaughter; her suggestions are what finally helped me turn towards recovery. My mom made grilled cheese sandwiches. My mom let me play outside all day. My mom sang nursery rhymes and lullabies to me. My mom rocked me in a squeaky rocking chair, even when I was too old to be rocked. She made me do my homework, and then she made me do it again because it wasn’t my best work. She taught me the value of a garden and preparing ahead. She taught me how to manage a checkbook and the importance of saving. My mom watched me put on silly shows for her, even when they were ridiculous and she was busy. My mom stopped what she was doing and came outside to see my new trick on the swing set. 

My mom didn’t change the world. She won’t be in any history books. She won’t get a Nobel Prize.

She stood by my dad and showed me what a family should look like. She showed me what submitting to your husband looks like, too, and gave me a good example to follow.




Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment