Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Doctor's office waiting room nightmare

I had a doctor appointment today. No big deal, just a check up. When I entered the waiting room there were a few people in there. Most with no kids. One lady was there with her husband and one child. He seemed to be between 2 and 2 1/2. As I walked in the door with David, she said, "Oh good! Look! There is a little baby here for you to play with!" I'm not the play date at the doctor's office type mom, so this is a red flag for me. I sat as far away from the lady as I could. I pulled out a book from my purse for David, and he was very happy with that.

The other boy in the office had no toys to play with or books to read. His mom didn't seem to have anything but a cell phone, so there were no stashed goodies in her purse. The mother seemed to be the one with the appointment, and she was soon called back for what appeared to be lab work. Sadly, that must have not been the only thing that she was there for. When the family returned to the waiting room, she led everyone right to where I was sitting. Great. Just what I wanted. I didn't really look at them to put off the vibe of "I don't talk to people in doctors' offices." She didn't get the point.

Her husband asked her if she had decided what she wanted for breakfast. She didn't want breakfast. Her husband did. She got really mad at him for being hungry. How dare the man eat! She tried to get me to agree by starting on a man-bashing rant. Lovely. As she began to try to engage me by using my son ("How old is he?"), I was saved by a nurse who felt mercy on me and called me back. Praise God.

Is there no etiquette in doctors' offices anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment