I want to fix it. When I hear of things that happen to people that just aren't right, I wish I could fix the problem.
I confess that as a child I looked at mothers with small children who were having a tough time, and I wanted to rescue the child from that situation. Of course, my mom and us three kids never had bad days at the store. She never had to leave a store with the grocery cart still full sitting inside dragging a misbehaving child out. And that misbehaving child was never me.
My view of injustices might have started there. The child of course was the one that I related to because I was a child. Children never do anything wrong. Well, at least this is what a child having a good minute thinks (the next minute that same child is doing something wrong).
Recently I got an mass email from someone with pictures of children in Palestine who were hurt by the war. The pictures were so sad and so familiar. We see pictures like this on our news often. That was the point of the email. Farther down the email showed pictures of very young children holding guns, throwing bombs, and other things along this nature. The email spoke of these "poor children," but it was obvious that they didn't mean "poor." The author was saying it sarcastically, at least that is how I perceived it. I thought that is was quiet sad. What if my children were raised like that? My daughter would be using a gun in just 3 short years. My son would soon be learning about throwing bombs instead of balls. How sad! Just like the children that I wished I could rescue as a kid couldn't be rescued by me, these children can't either. How I could cry for them!
There are a couple of injustices that happened this week that I can't share. I can share this though.
I spoke out that the YMCA in Sealy had a parent meeting on Ash Wednesday. Enough of us parents spoke out that a change was made. Yay for a little step. If I can't speak out when my daughter is 3, how will I ever be able to speak out when she is 14?
As for other injustices, I'm working at figuring out which injustices are mine to fight and how to fight them in a God-pleasing way. What are some ways that you stand up against our culture?
No comments:
Post a Comment