Thursday, June 30, 2011

Homeschool






We started Allyssa's homeschool this week. She loves it. I love it, too. We do it right after lunch, which is a little unconventional, but this way, David, Jr. is napping. While she is working on her assignments I can be in the kitchen doing chores or getting supper ready for later in the evening, available to help her if she needs it. The first day was a little hard for her. She wasn't used to sitting and doing something for so long. One assignment in particular (photographed) was to color in the number of squares as there are ants in the section. She did great on number 1-5. Then she started saying her hand hurt and was not nearly as interested in numbers 6-10. She did do them all, but wasn't thrilled about it. I learned my lesson, split that up into different days. Everything that she has done so far has been things that she already knows how to do. It is part of a preschool curriculum though, so I figure that there is no harm in doing it. She enjoys getting to do things correctly on her own and learning what to do for each assignment on her own. There is one task that is harder for her. She hates tracing. If she takes her time, she can do it, but she does enjoy it and would rather me help her. I don't and let her try, try again until she follows the lines. It is nice to have one thing that she can use some real practice on though because it helps me know what to include in each day's set of assignments. We try to do something fun each day. Do-a-Dot is a winner. She loved it so much that we turned it into an art project later. I helped David make a butterfly after he dotted up a piece of paper on his own. Allyssa enjoyed decorating with it and is looking forward to me helping her with a butterfly later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment