Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pastor's Daughter

Part of being a kid is growing up with one or more parent doing some sort of job. Somehow everyone's life is shaped in some way by their parent's career. It is just part of life.

I grew up the daughter of a farmer for 5 brief years and the rest were mainly the daughter of a businessman. The brief years that I spent as a farmer's daughter helped me understand that God created the seasons to care for us. The time spent as the daughter of a businessman helped me understand that fathers care for their children so greatly. Through both of my dad's jobs I learned that hard work was admirable and not doing your best was unacceptable and cheating from the company. I'm sure I gleaned other things as well, but my point is more how different the things that I learned about are from the things that Allyssa is learning about.

With a Daddy as a pastor, a child might see on any given weekday her father dress in his clergy shirt (one that he might not even wear on Sundays if he's a suit and tie kinda guy) and put on his nice dress pants. She'll see him come home for lunch with a clergy cross on. This of course raises the question, "Daddy did you do a service today?" I'm sure that kids of funeral home directors hear about funerals way more often than a PK. Allyssa has heard about funerals many times. The most recent time she asked if she'd live a long time. She also asked if she'd make it to her 5th birthday. Being the realist that I am I gave her a big hug and said, "I hope so!"

Thankfully that answer calmed her heart because this mommy doesn't feel right about saying "yes." It makes me realize how precious the time is with her when she asks these questions.

She also asked me if I would live a long time. To that I responded that I think that I am supposed to take care of her kids when she goes dancing with her husband. I've got to live a long time to do fun stuff like that!

By the way, her husband's name will be Oren. Her children, so far, are Cristy, Taylor, David, Allyssa, and Sophia. Allyssa (the mom, not the daughter) will be a princess. Oren will be a prince. They will dance to Chick-fil-A songs (from preschool playhouse). I will watch her kids when she goes out dancing. She'll live close to me. Oh, and Oren will have a REALLY BIG dump truck.

Sounds like she's got it all worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment