David was installed as Assistant Pastor of Parish Education and Fellowship this past Sunday, January 6th, at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Houston.
The church was simply beautiful. It was decorated for Christmas. There were many, many poinsettias in front of the altar. In amongst the poinsettias were the largest Fontanini nativity pieces I'd ever seen. (I LOVE the Fontanini nativity. When I worked at a gift shop in Minnesota that sold it, they carried one of the large sets, but not this big.) I was admiring the set before the service and asked David if he knew if it was Fontanini after the service. He said he couldn't tell for sure, but he agreed that it looked a lot like it. He saw when they were taking it down after church that it was. Anyhow, there was also greenery draped around the balconies, a beautiful Christmas tree in the narthex, a nutcracker, and one of those things that I don't know what is called. It spins like a merry-go-round because of the heat from the candles. Do you know what I'm talking about? My inlaws had one at their house at Christmastime when they lived in the states. Whatever it is called, it is a German Christmas decoration and this particular one was HUGE. It was electric as well. It was quite amazing. I could have looked around the sanctuary and narthex a long time. I can only imagine what the sanctuary must look like on Christmas Eve with candles lit. It must be truly spectacular.
The installation was during the morning worship service. The bell choir came in ringing the bells as they went up to the choir loft. There was a lot of special music, solos, choirs. I know that I heard a flautist as well.
The Installation Hymn was composed for the occasion by Pastor White, the Senior Pastor at Our Savior.
1.Now preach the Word! No higher call, Could God our Lord bestow. Proclaim God's Truth to one and all, That faith and love may grow. Stand forth among us in Christ's stead, Serve humbly as did He. Lead in the way that Jesus led, To set His people free.
2. As shepherd of Our Savior's sheep, With tender love and care, To pastures green, still waters deep, Which Jesus did prepare; You'll lead the flock, a pastor true, And firmly guard and guide, Secure in knowing, as you do, The Lord is by your side.
3. The sacraments which Christ ordained, To bring His grace to men, That those who bore sin's fatal strain, Be cleansed to live again. Shall be the means which you employ, His gospel to convey, Sin death and darkness to destroy, And break the devil's sway.
4. Let us rejoice that God's own call, Has brought you to this place. We pray His blessings richly fall, Upon you by His grace. That you may serve Him here with joy, In faithful ministry, Glad hymns of praise we now employ, To Christ who set us free.
After the service, there was a lovely reception. So many people attended and came up to welcome us. I'm sure that I forgot more names than I remembered.
Sorry that there are no pictures. We forgot to take any.
Something that I found interesting was that a few people asked me if I was Mrs. Vandercook. Now this might not seem like such an odd thing, but I've always gone to small churches. If anyone visited, you knew who they were (or at least that they were the new person). Our Savior is a large church, so not only do I get to learn a lot of new names, many people don't know that I'm one of the pastor's wives. As time goes on, of course, we'll figure it out better. Although, I must admit, that I am not good at learning names. It will likely take me years and years to do so. In the same way, I'll be introducing myself and my children for a while, for sure.
We are very excited to be a part of Our Savior and are looking forward to raising our children here.
No comments:
Post a Comment