We had hoped to close today on our house in Sealy. We had hoped to close over a week ago, really. House selling is more dramatic than house buying.
We had asked our agent to arrange for us a lease-back on our current home so that we could stay here after closing here until our other home closed. This is a pretty common occurrence. The seller said we could have until the 25th. That was all well and good until our closing date here was pushed back which pushed back our closing date in Houston. Well, when we changed the closing date here in Sealy, we failed to notice that the lease-back date was also not changed.
We contacted our agent to see what could be done about it. She recommended that we contact the buyer through her email and ask for an extension on it. From what we gather, that is where things fell apart for us today. I guess she didn't like that. She told her agent to tell my agent to tell us that we are not allowed to speak to her. Lovely. I, of course, found this out by email. I had to call my agent to see if she had said that we could stay or not. I was told that while the buyer did not have tenants to move into this home yet, she was also very angry. My agent called her agent to plea for the lease-back. He emailed the buyer.
Several hours went by.
I called.
I emailed.
I tried to get a lease-forward. That didn't work.
I called and emailed some more.
Meanwhile, I packed. Furiously. Everything in the house.
At 6:00pm, the buyer finally let us know via the agents. We could stay after all.
Talk about last minute.
I'm so happy that we get to stay and not have to do all that had been elaborately planned. (3 kids and a dog and I at my parents; David at a friends; stuff stored in a truck or a warehouse until we close in Houston.)
At the same time, I'm a little curious how this week will play out with no toys (save for 1 doll and one small cement truck), 4 books, no dishes or silverwear (we have some paper/plastic), etc. Everything is in boxes.
Well, all's well that ends well. 1 more week!
No comments:
Post a Comment