Friday, January 11, 2013

Regular schedule

"Dear Grandma and Papa, Yesterday we saw a gopher. It poked its head out many times! Love, Allyssa"

We got a bit off schedule after Christmas. I didn't want to take any days off because before 2013 we schooled 4 days a week. Now, we are schooling 5 days a week as David (Daddy) works on Friday. Things have been off because of...well, laziness. I could have done better. With packing and trying to close on the house with conflicting information from our realtor, and also Christmas, we were a bit off, and I was a bit lazy. I scattered school throughout the day. Being back on schedule was very helpful in helping the day get going. The days move slowly when Daddy leaves so early. Thankfully, some days (the ones without evening meetings) he's made it home for supper. That has been helpful for moral. :) We are looking forward to being in Houston so that we can settle into what will become normal. Knowing that we are in an abnormal time makes it a bit harder to adjust to our current schedule of things.

While in our abnormal schedule, Allyssa decided to write a letter. It was all scrunched together, nothing was on any lines (it might not help that I accidentally packed up the Kindergarten writing paper!!!). Anyhow, this gave me an idea. She hates to write. Really hates it. BUT, she likes to write letters. She prefers to dictate them to me, I write them, then she copies them on her own piece of paper. I'm perfectly fine with her getting handwriting practice that way.

This is how we do it:

Who do you want to write to? Grandma and Papa (I write Dear Grandma and Papa,)
What do you want to write about? gophers
Okay, tell me what you want to say. (She dictates her sentences while I write them.)
I sign it. (Love, Allyssa)
We talk about punctuation a bit.
She gets her own paper and writes asking along the way about how to make a lowercase d. She hates lowercase d. She changes periods to exclamation points.

It works for us. I really like that it gets her to practice her handwriting without the whining.

1 comment: