Thursday, November 11, 2010

Personality Types

Today at our MOPS group we had the privilege to hear from a wonderful speaker about personality types. After taking the quiz that she brought along, I discovered that I was gold. I was a strong gold with a some green and orange, and a little blue. The colors were then given descriptions. Some of the things that describe a person with a gold personality are: loyal, dependable, prepared, thorough, sensible, punctual, faithful, stable, organized, caring, concerned, and concrete. I find that this is almost true. I don't call myself organized, but I guess in some ways I am. I had 25 points for gold. 18 for green (analytical, global, conceptual, cool, calm, collected, inventive, logical, prefectionistic, abstract, hypothetical, investigative). I find that several of these traits also fit me, especially logical and analytical. I even named my daughter a name that means logical and spelled it so that it was spatially pleasing to me (Allyssa; two ls because it makes the name have even letters on each side of the y). I got 15 points for orange (witty, charming, spontaneous, impulsive, generous, impactful, optimistic, eager, bold, physical, immediate, fraternal). My mom has always hold me that I am immediate. She is very correct about that. I have a few orange qualities. I got 12 points for blue (enthusiastic, sympathetic, personal, warm, communicative, compassionate, idealistic, spiritual, sincere, peaceful, flexible, imaginative). I can see a few traits in me that come from the blue, but I am not extremely blue. I have work on communication. I am not super flexible. We follow a schedule. I am sincere, usually. In looking at the description, I can say that I was very imaginative as a child. I still play imagination games with my kids. However, I am not extremely affectionate and don't really like the things that typically go with romantics (flowers, candlelight). Interestingly enough, my husband is less blue than I am. He is primarily gold and green (almost equally). God knew what he was doing when he gave us our children. David, Jr. never was one to snuggle. Even as an infant, he would not sleep if we held him. He had to be laid down to fall asleep. He didn't like nursing at all. He shows his love by giving me gifts. He likes to give me food and drinks. He gives me pebbles and flowers. Today when I picked him up from MOPPETS, he ran toward the diaper bag to bring it to me, not to me for a hug. Allyssa also does not like to give a lot of affection. I have commented to my mom on several occasions that Allyssa doesn't give hugs. They are rare. If she doesn't feel like hugging, she'll give a "leg hug." If we ask for a kiss, she doesn't kiss our faces, but kisses our arms or legs. It is interesting because we doted on her when she was an infant. It will be interesting to see how our children's personalities shape them and change as they get older. It is interesting that God gave two people who don't have a lot of the blue traits children who also do not. That's not to say that we don't snuggle with our kids (especially at night before bed when we read to them) or that we don't hug them (lots of hugs are given, they are just not requested by the kids very often). It is interesting to me how different parenting styles are affected by personality. I know a lady who disciplines in whispers. Really, she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment