Saturday, April 16, 2011

boo

I look at the long list of things that I want to do (like housework or a puzzle with the kids)and it doesn't seem that enough gets done. At the end of each day after I put the kids to bed, I think, "What did I do to invest in those little lives?" Sadly, it always takes some thought. I try to be intentional with my parenting, but the daily grind sometimes gets the best of me.

Take today, for instance.

I woke up early. Got part-way dress. Allyssa woke up. I got her clothes out for soccer, took her to the bathroom. She got herself dressed and her hands washed while I kept asking her to hurry up while I got myself ready to go. Then off to breakfast where she didn't get to pick what she would eat, but I hastily put cereal on the table for her. I gobbled mine down and went off to get her brother up. I plopped him down in his chair with a bowl of cereal. While he dawdled, I got cups ready for soccer and my teeth brushed. Then I hurried Allyssa to finish, brushed her hair, put it up, got her teeth clean. Then it was on to soccer socks while I asked David to hurry and eat. He cried when I took him out of his chair. He wasn't done. Off we went to get him dressed. In the car. On the road. Soccer. Once we got home, the kids ate a snack while I unpacked some things, including the dishwasher. Laundry. Kids playing together happily. Vacuum. Kids playing together. Lunch. David's nap. Make supper. Allyssa to her room to play. Write this down so that I feel guilty forever, especially since I know I need to go to the store after David's nap.

So here is to knowing the I don't do enough.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you do plenty of wonderful things--may you find grace in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete