I usually try not to buy something that is related to David's job for his birthday, but I took a lot of time making something that I promised him 7 years ago. So this year, I gave him a purple stole. I hand embroidered the grapes and wheat and asked a friend to help me by sewing it together. She did a lovely job (and I didn't burn it ironing it like I did his red one). This was the last color that David needed in his stole set. I kept it a secret while I was making it, at least I think I did. When we would be gone for a meeting, I would sew, and before he got back, I'd gather all the stuff and the thread clippings and get them all put away. I would be found watching documentaries or cleaning the kitchen when he returned.
Here is the finished product.
The kids got him Oreos. We rarely buy store bought treats (chips, cookies, etc.). I make homemade cookies, bars, granola bars, and things often, so there is no need to buy this sort of thing, but it is a special treat. The kids asked if they could get it for his birthday a couple of months ago, and I said yes.
We also made homemade Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast, although he didn't eat with us. He went on a bike ride early in the morning and ate his at work later. We had Lasagna for supper, and cake and ice cream, Blue Bell, of course. Blue Bell was nice enough to come out with a flavor just for David's birthday, Chocolate Peanut Butter. Ice cream is a special treat around here, primarily only eaten on birthdays, although we have had it when visitors from out of town came in. Makes for a pretty special day! David and Kaytlin put used some sidewalk chalk to decorate the driveway. David wrote "Happy Birthday" in mirror image. There were also tons of coloring pages and art projects from Allyssa and David.
Happy birthday, David!
No comments:
Post a Comment