Monday, May 2, 2011

Fun drink

Today I heard someone telling a Bible story to little kids. It was the story of Jesus turning water into wine at a wedding because his mom asked him to. The person telling the story just couldn't bring herself to tell the kids that Jesus was turning water into wine. Instead of saying "wine," she said "fun drink."

Now, a child the age of these either does not know what wine is because they don't see it consumed often or they have seen mommy sipping wine at supper or whatnot and knows that it is a "Mommy drink." Either way, there is no harm in saying that Jesus changed water into wine.

The point is that Jesus turned water into WINE. You don't say that Jesus didn't suffer on the cross just because that part of the story isn't happy, do you?? Why change the Bible because you have a problem with alcohol? If you have a problem is alcohol, that is kinda your problem. Jesus drank the stuff. The disciples drank the stuff. There probably wasn't a person at that time who didn't drink it. That is what they did. It is fact. It's in the Bible. We can't just go cutting things out because we don't like them.

If you want to choose to not drink alcohol, that is fine. Generally, I choose the same thing. I haven't had a drink in about 3 years.

But just because I choose not to drink doesn't mean that Jesus did.

That day in history, water was changed into wine not "fun drink." I think mixing a Kool-aid packet into the water wouldn't have been nearly as interesting as producing a fermented drink out of an unfermented one just by pouring it into a jug.

Oh and I don't think they had Kool-aid packets back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment