I don't really think that time heals all wounds, but I used the baby and the bath water analogy before and thought I'd stick with my theme.
After a day's removal from yesterday afternoon's sourness, it is easier to see the day from a happier perspective. One of the downs yesterday is just a silly memory/reminder. The other has a little while until it will be forgotten and is a little harder to chew, but with the buffer of a day it sure doesn't look so dreary.
I think that is what it means that time heals all wounds.
In a few more days, I might not even remember that great things happened on the same day as bad things. I'll probably still remember the existence of the bad things. I will absolutely remember the good parts.
It is funny how time does that. Buffers of days, weeks, years really does shade the way we think.
Occasionally, I think back to those early months with Allyssa. I remember calling my sisters-in-law and cousin to get advice on sleeping because I had a baby who wouldn't sleep. Ever. Day or night. That girl never slept. Funny how that didn't impact the decision to have a second or even a third child. Time sure made us "forget." Now we didn't actually forget. When she has a child that doesn't sleep, I'll tell her the thing that got me through those rough months was the idea that each yucky phase of childhood ends and new ones replace them. (Yes, I was actually glad to think that new yucky phases would replace the old ones because at least the old ones would be over. I was pretty sleep deprived. And apparently a realist.)
That is how it is with things. The great things in life trump the horrible things in lief. Even when the horrible parts shape who you are and who you become, memories are mainly sweet or bitter-sweet. Few are actually super sour with the buffer of sin. At least in my easy life.
I laugh when saying easy when I'm so overwhelmed with life right now, but remember, I'm a realist. There is always someone out there who has it so much worse than I do, and I know that. My life is fantastically easy compared to some, even in the worst/hardest/most stressful times.
And so off to bed to sleep on the good memories of a fun-filled day and to forget the headache, swollenness, and uncomfortableness that will be just a distant memory tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment