Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More on Casey Anthony

I just can't quit thinking about the grace and mercy that I receive from God through Christ and was an awesome gift that is!

Today though someone even quoted Matthew 18:6 ("But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.") seemingly against Casey Anthony, although I had a hard time deciding if the person meant it against Casey Anthony or not. Either way for my purposes, I'm going to assume that it was meant to be against Casey Anthony in an effort to, well basically to get across my own agenda. Because isn't that what a blog is for anyways! :)

First of all, this verse is often used out of context. Looking at the context of a passage is very important when trying to understand Scripture. I'm not here to talk about the context of this verse though, so I'll move on and you can either read it yourself, find a study Bible that gives you lots of information, find a commentary on the book of Matthew, or ask your pastor if you would like more information on the context of this verse.

Now, moving on...

Here is a little senario:

A young child (let's say 5 or 6 years old) is asked one day to answer the ringing phone. The child says to her mother, "Mommy, it is so and so from such and such." The mother has received several phone calls from this telemarketing company and doesn't not want to deal with it at the moment. She replies, "Tell him that I'm not at home." The child says, "My mommy is not at home."

What is the sin?

Lying to the telemarketer.

Who sinned?

The mother and the child.

Who caused the child to sin?

The mother.

Who deserves eternal punishment for their sin?

Both the mother and the child.

Now is that fair? Is that fair what I've done? Yes. God requires perfection.

This is where the Gospel takes on a sweetness comparable to none other.

Who can forgive the repentant sinner?


God! Through Jesus Christ both the mother and child can be saved from the punishment that is required of sinners!



So why is it that I think that Casey Anthony could possibly get to spend eternity with the Savior? Because God is bigger than sin. In fact, He defeated it on the cross! Praise be to Christ for this gift of salvation that none of us deserve.

I pray that the Holy Spirit works not only in my heart to cause me to repent, but also in everyone's hearts. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment