Thursday, September 1, 2011

Birth Plan

I laughed as I wrote that title. With my first pregnancy, I thought that I'd go into labor and have a kid. I hoped I could get away with as few needle sticks as possible. I went into the hospital on June 4th, had blood drawn every 2 hours, 2 steroid shots, an IV giving me lots of drugs. Less than 24 hours later I had a kid via C-section, but was still sick and still had lots of blood work done for the next 8 weeks. Lovely. I learned pretty quick that for me a birth plan is a joke.

Today, though, I found out my birth plan for this kid.

If I make it to 38 weeks without going into labor and without getting sick (as evidenced by protein in my urine indicating that I have preeclampsia), I will deliver via scheduled C-section. My doctor isn't actually scheduling it now because she doesn't think I'll make it.

If I make it to 36 weeks without getting sick, but I go into labor, they'll deliver via C-section.

If I do not get sick but am not at 36 weeks, and I go into labor, they'll stop labor.

We didn't talk about the if I get sick part. I kinda already know what that means as evidenced by two emergency C-sections. Delivery is the only cure for preeclampsia.

I get my first steroid shot tomorrow in the hospital. We were hoping to get it at the doctor's office, but the medicine is on back order for doctor's offices. The only way to get it is to go to the hospital. My case is one that requires it, so tomorrow is the day. I'll go back on Saturday for the second steroid shot (you get two at a time, 24 hours apart).

At least they have oxygen handy at the hospital. I might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment