Sunday, September 4, 2011

Why I'm glad I'm a Christian and denominationalism

Praise be to God that he is big enough to forgive us ALL our sins, even our sins of bad doctrine.

Being a Lutheran, I really don't look at denominations the same way that most people do.

In my own opinion, denominations don't matter. The reason why they don't matter is because not everyone can be right. There cannot be two different beliefs about the same matter and both be accurate. You can't believe that Christ died to forgive your sins and that is how you get to heaven and be accurate if at the same time you believe that obtaining salvation is based on something that you do. That is contradictory.

There is a true doctrine. God can only be truth. He can't make salvation based on Christ ALONE and on man + Christ at the same time. That would be contradictory. God can not contradict himself.

I sometimes want to say that I'm just Christian because that is what I am. I'm Christian. I believe that Christ died for me to secure my salvation. Period. The problem with stopping at saying that I'm Christian is that not every Christian believes this.

That's sad.

They're wrong.

I know that sounds harsh, but the issue with saying that they can be right at the same time that I am right (that Christ ALONE saves me, but that man+Christ saves them) would be contradictory. Not just contradictory to think of, but contradictory to the Bible. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The reason why this is so troubling to me is that when you don't know that Christ alone is how you are saved, how do you know that you have salvation? If it is man+Christ then did that man do enough? Nope. That's the problem. We can't ever do enough to earn our own salvation. (Romans 3:23-24)

There is only one way to have salvation. Christ died for you. May you never reject this gift of eternal life because you worry that you don't do enough.

So why am I glad that I'm a Christian?

Let's look at a little story:
There was this kind couple who gave a young family a gift. The gift was large and could never be repaid. The kind couple knew that they could never be repaid. It was simply a gift. The young family was very appreciative. As with any gift, while it was not forgotten over time, the gift became part of the young couple's past.
Now, let's change the story. Let's say that every day you are given a gift. Every day the gift is one that can never be repaid. You are free from any burden that gift giving might place on you. It is totally a free gift. Now how would you respond. More than likely, every day you'd be overwhelmed by the awesomeness of this gift. Every day you'd be kind to others in ways that you could. Not because you had to pay back the giver, but because you are so blessed by the gift that this way of living becomes just that, a way of living.

The second story is like Christ's gift to us. We are given this gift of eternal life. It is such a wonderful gift that the act of sharing and living out one's faith is what is simply done because of how much you are blessed. The burden of the gift is non-existent. Why? Because you did nothing to deserve it or secure it.

Back to the question: Why am I glad that I'm a Christian?
I'm glad that I'm a Christian because I KNOW that I will go to heaven when I die. I rejoice that I am so free from the law, free from condemnation, because I have been bought by the blood of Christ that I am free to love and serve my neighbors (everyone). I feel no obligation to do so because the gift of eternal life is free. Instead I feel free to love and serve. The attitude behind that is different.

It is true that there is one right teaching. That is the teaching of the Bible. There is no "you've got your verses; I've got mine." Really, God teachings is all there is.

Sure, this might sound harsh to lots of people. It isn't to exclude anyone from the Kingdom of Heaven. No. Really the correct interpretation of Scripture is so freeing and life giving that exclusion is exactly what it isn't. Christ died for all, not for some, not for many. For all.

Does that mean that everyone will go to heaven?

No. Sadly, many will not. Why? Sinners deserve Hell. It's true. Without Christ there is no way to get to heaven.

That is why the freedom to love and serve our neighbors is such a foundational part of living the life of a Christian. It compels us to do as we should. Tell others about Christ. In our vocations God calls us to live out the Christian faith so that others might see and be saved. For some that vocation is to be a pastor, or a teacher of religion. These people tell others about Christ, build them up and send them out to go tell others. For some that vocation is to be a missionary. These people get the direct job of telling. What a blessing that is! For some that vocation is to be a nurse, or a plumber, or an accountant. In these jobs, we can live out our lives so that others can see and be saved. For some that vocation is to be a mother. In a mother's vocation, she is called to be both the missionary and the religious teacher to her children (to introduce Christ to her children and then build them up in that faith so that they can go out and tell others).

The urgency to tell others is real. As one redeemed by Christ, I should want all be be redeemed by Christ. Therefore, I should desire to tell others about him. Now. Before it is too late.

Now back to denominationalism.

Why is it important to believe correct teachings? Because the sweetness of grace through Jesus Christ is robbed in false teachings. Christ died for you. That should be the sweetest thing you've ever heard, not something that makes you wonder if you've done enough, but something that frees you to live out that salvation!

Does that mean that people who are members of a different denomination are damned to hell? Certainly not! Christ died for them and they are redeemed through his blood. It is not based on them or what they do. It is based on Christ! Praise be to God that he is big enough to forgive us ALL our sins, even our sins of bad doctrine.




No comments:

Post a Comment