Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Games we love

Today I talked to my sister and one of my friends about little kid games that we love. I thought that it might be fun to share some of my favorites.

Richard Scary's Cars and Trucks Card Game


This game is one of Allyssa's favorites! I love it because it is fun for me, too, and it is educational. How to play:
Each player flips over a card at the same time. The person with the highest number gets to keep all the cards. If a player gets a card with a + sign on it, he gets to draw another card and add them together to get his total. At the end of the game, the players count all of their cards up to see how many they have. The person with the most cards is the winner.
Why I like it:
Besides just being fun, this game teaches a lot about math! Young players will learn how to count and recognize numbers (they can count the number of characters on the cards or recognize the written number). Players will also learn how to add. At the end of the game players will count their cards. We've counted as high as 30 before, but usually the number is in the mid-twenties.

Another game that we love is Boz's Big World Adventure


How to play:
This game is very similar to Candy Land. It is made so that the players do not have to read to play. Drawing cards advance you along the game board. Cards ask you to do things like say what you are thankful for or find something that is a certain color or shape in the room. Some cards ask you to act out a simple charade.
Why I like it:
I like this game because it teaches winning and loosing. It teaches players to take turns. It is an easy first game! It is refreshing to have the cards asking players to name something they are thankful for. The other cards teach things like colors and shapes.

What are your favorite kid games?

No comments:

Post a Comment