Recently someone was talking with me about politics. I currently try not to talk about politics. I find that when I do someone always knows something that I do not know. You know like so-and-so did such-and-such or that who-and-who are saying this-and-that, and I didn't know it and now don't have a well thought of response.
At some point in recent history, I decided that politics are not my thing. I do vote, but I find it difficult because I think that all politicians are wrong.
It would be easy to try to place me in certain categories of politics based on certain things about me. For example: I drive a small, fuel efficient car. I recycle more things than I throw away. My trash can only had one trash bag in it this week for the garbage truck. (Thankfully, the trash man still comes to my house because this particular bag of trash was quite smelly.) From this someone could guess that I might have a political leaning of some sort. Really, I don't see recycling or driving a sensible car as political like some might, but I see it as being a good steward of my own financial resources and the resources found in the things that I recycle. Another example might be that I think that abortion is wrong. Certainly, this is seen as a political stance if fuel efficient cars and recycling are not. I, however, don't see it that way. I simply think that God tells us not to kill people.
It probably was obvious to you that instead of political leanings, I do my best to base what I think on Biblical teachings as best as I can. Since the Bible is really clear on certain things, I try my best to cling to those principles. No it does not say that everyone should recycle or drive a fuel efficient car. The Bible does say that we should be good stewards, and I do think that everyone should find a way to do this as best as they can. For one it is buying CFL light bulbs and recycling, but another person might find that they don't have a recycling center or a place to take their used CFLs, so they might be a good steward by growing their own produce or watering their yard with rain water as much as they can or by going to town less frequently, etc... Other Biblical principles don't have as many options on how some things are done, like lying, adultery, murder, etc... Those things are simply wrong.
Since I try to base my not-so-political leanings on Biblical principles, I was really interested when the parenting book I am reading related God as Father of Adam and Eve to parenting today. He basically was saying that since God is perfect and created Adam and Eve who disobeyed Him even though He gave them everything that is good and right, why do we as parents think that our children will obey us? He quotes Jeremiah 17:23 and 32:33 where "God laments through His prophet that nothing He has done has succeeded at causing the Israelites...to listen to and obey Him."
The author's point there is that kids misbehave. They have a free will just like we do, and they will, at times, test us.
I read several reviews of this book. Most of the reviews were positive, but several were not. Most of those reviews that did not like the book felt like the author encourages parents to be harsh with their children and to not give grace to them. So far I have not found this to be the case as I apply it to my own parenting style. Coming from a home where we were disciplined and turning out alright, I don't see disciple as a bad thing. I have disciplined my kids. I've taken things away. I've put them in the corner. I've put Allyssa in her room for "long" periods of time. (Gasp! With the light out!) What I have found is that when I discipline my children loosely, they are far more likely to misbehave again than when I put down the hammer and nip it in the bud. Generally, my kids are well-behaved. I'm pretty lucky to have good kids, but I also know that I am not the best parent that I can be. The principles in this book are helpful to me. Now about the grace part, I feel that I am very gracious with my kids. We are quick to forgive in our household. This does not mean that consequences are not still in place, but our children are told daily that they are forgiven and loved.
I know that neither my views on politics nor parenting are the views of many. When it comes to most issues, I don't really feel that there is a Biblical reason that we have to agree. Each parent gets to choose how to parent their children based on their children and the parent's own skills and beliefs. For me, this works. Several political issues are not Biblical issues either, take education for instance. Some view it one way, others view it another. Biblically, I can't say that either one is wrong. So we are all left with choosing our own methods of parenting and our own opinions on politics. That is just part of being grown up, I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment